|Save at the pump and drive happy this spring with the following fuel saving tips from your friends at Fladeboe Volkswagen.|
|1. 30-second warm up - Letting your engine idle for more than 30 seconds wastes fuel and is harmful for your engine.|
2. Avoid fast starts - Jerky acceleration or fast starts can increase fuel consumption.
3. Keep tire pressure up - Under inflated tires can increase fuel consumption significantly.
4. Avoid short trips - It takes approximately 15 miles for a vehicle to achieve fuel efficient operation. Plan ahead by combining as many shopping errands as you can into one trip.
5. Minimize stops - If approaching a red light, see if you can slow down enough to avoid having to actually stop. Speeding up from 5-10 miles/hour will be easier on the gas than starting from a full stop.
6. Use A/C sparingly - When used a lot, A/C is known to use up about 8% of the fuel you put into your car.
7. Park in the shade - Gas actually evaporates right out of your tank, and does so faster when you park directly in the sun. When parking in the shade, you'll also need less A/C to cool off when you get back in.
8. Don't forget scheduled maintenance - Changing the air filter, changing lubricants with the recommended grade of oil, and keeping tires properly inflated can improve fuel efficiency by as much as 19%.
9. Any questions? Please call us at (866) 307-8525 to speak with a certified service technician and learn more about ways you can save at the pump.
Sources: http://www.carwale.com/research/tipsadvice/drivingtips.aspx; http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Money-on-Gas